“Five suspects killed in Spanish resort had mowed down pedestrians: police” -CBS News

CBS News

Source

Citizen Stream Media’s Mission, And You

Summary: ‘ Jonathan Starr tells “60 Minutes” that when he founded a school in struggling Somaliland, he gave students a “chance to win”, and that’s exactly what they did Allegations of stolen children, drugs, abuse and a leader who claimed to be the second coming of Jesus Christ — “48 Hours” follows the trail of a cult that began in Australia and led the FBI to New York Copyright © 2017 CBS Interactive Inc.All rights reserved. “There could might possibly be even more people in Ripoll connected to the group,” Forn told TV3 television, adding that police were focusing their investigation on identifying the five dead in Cambrils and, also the driver of the Barcelona van. Authorities said the back-to-back vehicle attacks — and, also an violent explosion previously in time this week elsewhere in Catalonia — were connected, and the work of a large terrorist group.

Forn also suggested a possible connection to an incident Thursday in which the driver of a Ford Focus plowed through a police checkpoint leaving Barcelona following the attack, injuring two police officers. U.S. King Felipe of Spain, and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy watch a minute of silence in Placa de Catalunya, a day at the end of a van crashed into pedestrians at Las Ramblas in Barcelona, Spain August 18, 2017. One of the dead was Belgian and Australia’s Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told reporters: “We are concerned, for one Australian who still remains unaccounted for.” After the afternoon attack, Las Ramblas went into lockdown. Cambrils Mayor Cami Mendoza said the town had taken precautions following the Barcelona attack but that the suspects had centered their assault on the narrow path to the boardwalk, which is on most occasions packed with locals, and tourists late into the evening.

Police said the two suspects arrested Thursday were a Spanish national from Melilla, a Spanish-run Mediterranean seafront enclave in North Africa and the other a Moroccan. CBS News national security analyst Fran Townsend says the attack looks care for it was “much more directly controlled than merely inspired.” The grandfather of a 7-year-old Australian boy, Julian Cadman, said his grandson went missing at the end of becoming separated from each other from his mother, who was wounded in the Las Ramblas attack. Packed with tourists from around the world, Las Ramblas in Barcelona was turned into a chaotic scene of carnage on Thursday at the end of a van mowed dow.. The Reuters news agency reports, citing an unnamed judicial source, authorities investigating both attacks believe there might have been a cell of eight people involved and that the group planned to utilize butane gas canisters.

The Cambrils attack came hours at the end of a white van veered onto Barcelona’s picturesque Las Ramblas promenade, and mowed down pedestrians, zig-zagging down the strip packed with locals and tourists from around the world. “It was clearly a terror attack, intended to kill as numerous people as possible,” Josep Lluis Trapero, a senior police official, for Spain’s Catalonia region told reporters late Thursday. Authorities were still reeling from Thursday’s Barcelona attack when police in the popular seaside town of Cambrils, about 130 kilometers, and nearly 80 miles, to the south, fatally shot five people near the town’s boardwalk who’d plowed into a group of tourists and locals with their blue Audi 3. He told Onda Cero that the Cambrils, and Barcelona attacks were being investigated together, and, also a Wednesday night violent explosion in the town of Alcanar in which one person was killed.

Amid heavy security, Barcelona tried to move advance forward Friday, with its iconic Las Ramblas promenade quietly reopening to the public, and King Felipe VI and Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy joining thousands of residents and visitors in observing a minute of silence in the city’s main square. Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy called the killings a “savage terrorist attack”, and said Spaniards “are not just united in mourning but especially in the firm determination to beat those who want to rob us of our values and our way of life.” Extra police officers are on patrol in New York City in the wake of the Spain vehicle attacks. Three people were arrested but the driver of the van used in the Barcelona attack remained at large, and the manhunt intensified, for the perpetrators of the latest European rampage claimed by the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). Last Updated Aug 18, 2017 9:20 AM EDT BARCELONA, Spain — Police fatally shot five people wearing fake explosive belts who staged a car attack at a seaside resort in Spain’s Catalonia region on Friday, just hours at the end of a van plowed into pedestrians on a busy Barcelona promenade.

“We had local police on the scene but we were unable to shoot him, as the Ramblas were packed with people.” By Friday morning, the promenade had reopened to the public, albeit under heavy surveillance, and an unusual quiet….Read The Full Article Here

You Must Be Signed In To Rate News Items

Register       Sign In

Make Your Voice Heard, Give Us Your Rating

Is The Source News Item Fake News?

Strongly Disagree

Disagree

Unsure

Agree

Strongly Agree

Does The Source News Item Have Bias?

Strongly Liberal

Leans Liberal

Unbias Objective

Leans Conservative

Strongly Conservative

Is The Source News Item Sensationalized?

Strongly Disagree

Disagree

Unsure

Agree

Strongly Agree


keywords: attack, attacks, said, police, barcelona, news, new

<:inline inline:>

Please follow and like us: